How was your weekend? I’ve been trying to spend as much time as possible outdoors, which means I had my first al fresco meal of the season today at the barbecue joint Fette Sau (if you don’t know, New Yorkers are obsessed with eating outside—they’ll sit on sidewalks when it’s still 50 degrees out just because they can). Check out this delicious-looking lunch I shared with a friend:
Obviously, I didn’t pick this meal for its nutritional value—it’s OK to eat food purely for pleasure sometimes!—so I’ll be loading up on produce and lean proteins in my next few meals (that’s the beauty of balance). Here’s what else I’ve got on my health and wellness to-do list for the coming week:
- Make this gorgeous watermelon burrata salad
- Use my workouts as a time to practice mindfulness. I have to admit that I’m a big fan of reading or watching TV on cardio machines (it makes me look forward to going to the gym more), but this post about what to think about during exercise has me inspired to use this time to practice body mindfulness
- Speaking of mindfulness…I’m definitely going to try this mindful-eating tip the next time I’m tempted by a post-meal treat (that would usually be Girl Scout cookies this time of year)
- Try this 10-minute Tabata workout
- Share this inspiring personal essay with as many people as possible. The headline kind of says it all: “My Journey From Homeless Drug Addict to Magna Cum Laude”
- Make an effort to check my work e-mail outside of work less often. Apparently French officials want to ban checking e-mail after 6 p.m. for many employees. While that’s not an option for me, I do think there’s something to be said for leaving most of your work (and all of the stress associated with it) behind when you leave the office.
- Try to keep myself from splurging on these workout pants (they’re so cute!—but they’re $84!—but they’re so cute!)
- Make an effort to stop catastrophizing (basically, making mountains out of molehills; I’m really bad about doing this when I’m stressed). Henrik Edberg at The Positivity Blog has some great tips on this
Have a well-intentioned week!